Thursday, January 17, 2019

Mama Discovers Fire

www.miriampaints.blogspot.com

This is my newest painting--in fact the paint is still wet. I have been working on a new method that involves a layer or two of 'spread-paint-over-the-canvas' for a base. I like to find something within that collage of color to inspire me, then I start drawing the figure. The figures work out best when I use actual photographs of people. I have discovered through trial and error that most of the time, working out of my head produces figures that are stilted and unnatural-looking.

So, 'Mama Discovers Fire' is really about self-discovery. I told a young friend lately that I loved turning 40. (She looked doubtful.) That was a birthday that made me believe that I saw starting to figure out who I was. The truth is that all of my life experiences have contributed to that. And I keep growing and changing--just like my paintings. So I see no need to apologize for or hide my age. The older I get, the better my fire burns. I have learned a lot about choosing the right fuel.

I love the imagery of fire. It's warm--even hot, if you get too close, and brings light to a dark place. It can be used to cook food, to ward off the chills, to bring comfort and sleep. Fire is fierce, consuming and unrelenting, if it gets out of control. The maker needs to remember that balance is important to all things.

So, here is Mama, looking at the fire she has discovered. You will note that she is not fearful of the intensity of the fire. The glow of the fire holds her fascination. But pretty soon, she will go look for fuel, and perhaps find some people who will come and enjoy the fire with her. She loves those people, big and little. She might even teach them how to build their own fires.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miriam, love your work. I came across your josephines 1860s bonnet on pinterest but can't find a link to the pattern anywhere. Could you please point me in the right direction? Your contact link 404s so hopefully you see this comment.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete