Friday, December 29, 2017

"Missy's Sheep" to debut at Springville Community Center

www.miriampaints.blogspot.com

"Missy's Sheep" was inspired by a wonderful drive through the woods near Gresham, Wisconsin, where my son and I happened upon a neighbor's sheep. It was getting dark, so we asked the farmer and his wife if we could come back in the morning and photograph. They asked if we would like their teen-age daughter to come out and feed them while I took the photograph--and of course, I said yes. The morning was just right--sunshine without the heat. The old stone barn was a charming backdrop. Missy told us that she was entering one of her sheep in the County Fair. It was great fun to tromp around in the sheep pen while they were anxiously awaiting their turns to have a snack.

It took me almost five months to get this painting underway. First, I wanted to try painting on some specially-prepared aluminum sheets, for a smooth effect. In the beginning of my return to painting, back in 2009, I used masonite. Once I started to feel some improvement, I decided that I would purchase canvases. I graduated to creating my own stretcher bars, and attaching the canvas myself, so I could make special sizes. But I never liked the texture....

When McGarren Flack (one of my instructors at Dixie State University) showed the class the aluminum sheets he works on, I waited until I could get down to Santa Fe, to the art store there, to pick up the items I wanted to try.

I really love painting on the absolutely smooth surface. I think I have found a new way!

Hope you like the sheep. And Missy.

1 comment:

  1. I love it Miriam! Just a small correction it was the county fair not state. And I would love to either own it or a print. Signed Missy’s Dad

    ReplyDelete