Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Tales of Tila

www.miriampaints.blogspot.com
Domitila 

Detail of face before glazing background, etc.

Many years ago, when I was about the age of fifteen, my sister Sonia and I went to a Youth Conference presented by our Church. It was held up in the mountains, near Platoro, Colorado. We made friends with some young people from Taos, Susan and Pat, and Susan's brother Lynn. We ended up having Susan and Pat stay at our house overnight, and became fast friends. When we were able to go down to Taos for a weekend, we had a wonderful time browsing through some of the art galleries, and learning more about that wonderful place. Susan and Pat were marvelous hosts, and the trip became a highlight of our lives. 

Susan had several other siblings, among them a young sister named Carolyn. Carolyn and her husband live in our area, and we gradually became better acquainted during the last several years. Carolyn told me about a one-woman play she had written, produced by Wilford Brimley, in which she tells the stories of her grandmother, Tila. Carolyn asked me to create some paintings to be placed in the foyer during the time it will be presented, and I told her I would love to do it! I decided I would create one painting for each of the seven scenes, and later was asked to paint this painting for the poster which advertises the play. 

Carolyn had a copy of a photographic portrait of Tila, and although the features were not completely clear, the color was beautiful, and went a long way to help me create this painting. It was as if Tila herself was helping me. I love this project, and feel so honored to be a part of helping this wonderful play move forward. Carolyn is so clever and talented, and her songs are full of personality and love. It is sure to be entertaining and successful!





1 comment:

  1. Thank-you. This is beautiful. Tila would be beaming and proud to see this.

    ReplyDelete